When I had the front end rebuilt, I had 11 rib fork boots not the standard 13 rib. So, I removed the tubes and mounted the correct 13 rib boots. I also cleaned up the snowflake cast front rim and the disk brake rotor assemble and had repainted the brake caliper which was showing aluminum instead of the original black paint.
Here are the pictures of the front end with the incorrect 11 rib and the correct 13 rib fork boots. It looks much better with the correct ones installed.
I loosely mounted the fork brace and then mounted the front wheel . I pushed up and down on the forks a couple of times to ensure alignment and then tightened the axle nut and locking bolts. Again, I pumped the front forks up and down and then tighted the fork brace bolts to the correct torque settings.
I bought new disk brake pads and also had to buy a new brake pipe as corrosion had made one of the nuts too small to fit a standard 10 mm ring spanner. The two pads are different. The one that goes into the piston side (right one in the photo) of the caliper has a small hole in it and the fixed pad (left one in the photo) has two raised castings that center the pad in the circular caliper cut out.
The brake pad kits come with a new O-ring that goes inside the center of the caliper piston as shown and a new clip for securing the fixed pad onto the back of the caliper.
Insert the pad into the piston first. The curved end of the pad goes to the back of the caliper. Then, put the pad into the fixed side of the caliper and secure it with the clip on the back with the open ends facing down as shown.
Next, I mounted the caliber to the fork using the excentric pin to hold it in place. Finally, I connected the new brake pipe to the braided steel brake line. Here’s the completed front end and wheel with brake caliper.
I spent a couple of hours polishing the aluminum engine cases with Autosol metal cleaner, metal polish and finished up with Aluminum oil. Now it really matches the transmission and rear drive and has a nice satin patina to it.
Finally, I mounted the subframe. I found mounting it using the bottom bolts first makes it easier to force the top legs into the top of the spine. Then I used a piece of wire and threaded it through the rear hole to the front hole in the subframe. I wrapped the wiring harness with duct tape and twisted the wire around that and pulled the wire harness back through the subframe tubing to the rear. Its all ready for the rear turn signals, but I have to finish painting the rear fender before I can mount them as they attach to the fender.
Here’s the Grey Ghost with the subframe mounted to the frame along with the key lock and the side handle for lifting the bike onto the center stand. It’s starting to more like a motorcycle. I just need to slap the rear shocks back on when I get the chance.