So, now I’m ready to install the front forks and align them. You can read about how I did that work here.
Earlier, I rebuilt the front forks, refinished the sliders and replaced the steering head bearings. I also polished the steering damper knob and added a modern BMW emblem to the center of the knob. You can read about how I did that here:
- 31 BMW R75/5 Rebuild Front Forks
- 31 BMW R75/5 Remove & Install New Steering Head Bearings
- 51 BMW R75/5 Refinish Steering Damper Knob
It took me awhile (about 2 weeks) to complete the fork tube alignment process. I had to adjust the forks to get them parallel in both the X and Y Planes. And then they went out of parallel as I assembled the upper top brace and the headlight ears. Some investigation showed that the rubber gaskets on the headlight ears changed the alignment of the upper brace. Small changes create misalignment, so patience is a virtue.
I’m pleased with the final product both in looks and improved alignment.
Here are a couple pictures from the write-up.