We have had miserable weather with cold, damp and even snow in Denver for the past two weeks. We did get two warm days stuck in the middle of each week and I took advantage to complete painting of the small parts and the engine cylinders and valve covers.
For the small parts, I used some wood clamps and some plywood on my saw horses to make a “paint fence” so I could hang the parts.
I again had some problems with paint adhering to some of the parts 🙁 , so I had to strip the turn signal brackets and repaint them.
The next warm day, I painted the cylinders and valve covers. The valve covers have ridges that are not painted. I thought putting a little oil on them would keep the paint form sticking. That was not a good idea as the oil flowed down the side of the ridges requiring me to re-clean the parts. Next, I tried axle grease very sparingly applied to the top of each ridge. As noted below, that didn’t really work well as the paint became very sticky and was hard to remove. I primed the parts and then finished up with engine paint rated to 500 degrees temperature. I taped off the base of the cylinder, the ends of the push rod tubes and the top of the head where the cylinder gasket goes to prevent getting paint on these surfaces as they have close tolerances. I also stuffed the cylinder bores with newspaper and taped off all the holes in the top of the heads.
Here’s the parts after painting.
I found that the best approach for cleaning paint off the ridges on the heads was to use a Dremel tool with a coarse sanding cylinder to remove the paint from the top of the ridge. This also let me remove some gouges and pits in the aluminum. I masked off the covers around the ridges with masking tape to prevent mishaps. After removing much of the paint with Dremel tool which really gummed up the sanding cylinders (I used 5 of them 🙁 ), I used a sanding block with 220 grit to get all the last bit of paint off and then finished up with 600 grit to polish the aluminum. Here is the before and after pictures.
Finally, I baked the parts in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 mins. I opened windows and doors to let the fumes escape. My wife, who is a saint, only mentioned that they were “stinky” as they baked … “Nothings quite so loving as something in the oven” 🙂
I believe I have all the parts painted other than the fenders, tank, side covers and fairing which will be painted Smoke Silver. That promises to be an adventure 🙂