I’ve started on a build of my wife’s 1973 BMW R75/5 which is a two owner, 97,500 mile, 40-year-old bike. It’s been stored in a barn for the past six years waiting for me to get time to work on the build.
Out of the Barn At Last
Please be advised that there is no representation of the accuracy of any of the information presented on these web pages relative to BMW motorcycle maintenance or modification and that the material is presented for information purposes only. In no case will I be held liable for injury or damage (consequential or otherwise) resulting from or arising out of alterations you make to your motorcycle. The reader should recognize that motorcycling is a dangerous activity that can result in injury or death, and that the alterations portrayed on these web pages can and will change the behavior and performance of your motorcycle, possibly with fatal results. You are encouraged to seek qualified assistance before undertaking any of the procedures outlined here, and are here by notified that, should you decide to proceed, you do so at your own risk.
I finished the build 18 months later. The bike, named “Grover”, went for it’s first ride around the block on July 4th 2015. Happy Independence Day !!! Here is a short video of the first ride and some pictures of the final build.
I organized the project documentation chronologically via blog posts and by main component as defined in the BMW parts fiche. You can also find all the pictures in my flickr account organized into sets.
Feel free to post comments and questions at the bottom of any documents and I’ll respond.
Here’s a couple of pictures of moving the bike from the barn to the shop that I built earlier in the year. It is a one-car garage, 14×21 foot, heated with 100 amp sub-panel for all the power I should ever need 🙂
Out of the Barn At Last
Heading To the Shop
In the Shop
Getting The Project Under Way
Start of Project Pictures
Here are some pictures of what the bike looked like when I started the project.
Front Fender and Fairing Removed
Seat, Tank, Front Fender and Exhaust System Removed
Right Carburetor and Drive Shaft Gunge
Possible Points Seal Leak
Push rod seal leaks
40 Year Old Foot Peg Rubber Shot
Shot Foot Peg Rubber and Brake Pedal Rust
Fork leaks and Top Clamp Gunge
Front Hub and Fork Gunge
Front Rim Grunge
Windjammer II Painted to Match with Chips
Faring Bracket and Frame Rust
Tank Scratches and Dings
Wrong Fork Boots & Frame Chips
Front Fender Damage
Front Fender Pin Stripe Detail
Frame Tube Rust and Paint Dings
Frame Rust, Dings and Clutch Cable
Battery Box Corrosion
Finished Project Pictures
Here are some pictures of the finished bike.
Instruments and Steering Damper
Front Wheel Hub Cab
Push Rod Tubes
Tool Box, Tools and Tire Pump Installed
Reflections in Fairing
Final Project Cost
The total “out the door” cost came to $7,006.67 USD. Here is the breakdown by major categories I used to estimate and track actual cost.
Frame, Wheels, Forks, Exhaust
Engine, Drive Shaft, Rear Drive
Electrical, Wiring, Bulbs
Fairing, Luggage, Accessories
Paint, Polish, Wax, Consumables
Blast & Powder Coat Subtotal = $325.75
Paint Subtotal = $788.73
Paint Prep & Supplies Subtotal = $405.19
Misc. Materials Subtotal = $54.55
Ship, Tax, Discounts
PROJECT TOTAL COST ==>
Here is a the itemized cost including part numbers and suppliers I used. I included parts I didn’t need and parts I bought twice due to my mistakes and these are noted in the comments column.