The 1983 R80ST top end is the same as the 1983 R100RS with the exception of a smaller cylinder bore, piston and rings. I already thoroughly documented installing the engine top end for the 1983 R100RS, so I reuses a lot of that material as appropriate in the documentation and the summary video.
The cylinders and heads were vapor blasted and I hand cleaned the engine block. I repainted the inner timing cover and top engine cover and had the frame powder coated.
Here is the engine with the top end installed. I put shop rags in the exhaust and intake ports of the heads to prevent anything from getting inside. I also put red tape on the temporary spark plugs and on the dip stick to alert me that I need to install new plugs and oil before I start the engine.
At last, I get to start putting this motorcycle back together. Every time I install an engine in the frame it’s a milestone. Instead of taking things apart, I am starting down the road to getting it all back together again :-).
Here is a link to the documentation and the video I shot.
The R80ST has spoked wheels front and rear. In order to refinish the wheels using vapor blasting, I remove the spokes. This let me assess the condition of the spokes and spoke nipples so I can decide if I can keep most of them, or they need to be replaced.
On the rear wheel only 17 out of 40 spokes weren’t bent or rusted and only 8 spoke nipples were not damaged. On the front wheel every spoke was bent. So I replace all the spokes with stainless steel spokes and install new plated brass nipples.
Before I install new stainless steel spokes and chrome plated brass spoke nipples, I replace the front wheel bearings. The rear wheel does not have wheel bearings. Instead it is mounted directly to the rear drive. Since the rear wheel does not have an axle, there is no need for wheel bearings.
Here is a link to the documentation on how I do this work and a short YouTube video that summarizes the procedure.
I had the cylinders vapor blasted. In preparation, I removed the push rod tubes. After they were vapor blasted I install new stainless steel pushrod tubes I got from Euro MotoElectrics, who graciously has agreed to provide the parts for this charity rebuild project for free. I will auction this bike and proceeds will go to the Motorcycle Relief Project.
I have done this work before on my 1983 R100RS rebuild and will reference material from the documentation of that build as appropriate.