- 2019 Restart Update
- Project Pictures & Videos
- Rebuild Procedures Index
I retired at the end of January 2015, and in preparation, purchased a 1983 BMW R100RS motorcycle for my third rebuild/restoration project. I figured I ought to have a motorcycle project out in “Brook’s Garage” to help orient me to my new life-style.
Please be advised that there is no representation of the accuracy of any of the information presented on these web pages relative to BMW motorcycle maintenance or modification and that the material is presented for information purposes only. In no case will I be held liable for injury or damage (consequential or otherwise) resulting from or arising out of alterations you make to your motorcycle. The reader should recognize that motorcycling is a dangerous activity that can result in injury or death, and that the alterations portrayed on these web pages can and will change the behavior and performance of your motorcycle, possibly with fatal results. You are encouraged to seek qualified assistance before undertaking any of the procedures outlined here, and are here by notified that, should you decide to proceed, you do so at your own risk.
2019 Restart Update
I did a number of projects on this bike in 2015 and 2016, but in 2016 I ended up buying a first year, 1977 R100RS and did a complete restoration of that bike. So, this project was parked. I completed the 1977 project in September 2017 and rode it to the 40th RS anniversary rally in Pennsylvania. One thing lead to another and before I knew it, it was March 2019 before I had a clear plan to restart this project.
Since I now have a restored first year RS, I was not as excited about rebuilding this 1983 RS as when I first acquired it. After some months of reflection I decided to do a resto-mod and convert the bike into the RT configuration with a number of modifications and improvements. I renamed this project the 1983 R100RS->RT build.
The R100RS was an innovative motorcycle when BMW introduced it in 1977. I loved it when I first saw one, and it’s been on my list of candidate project bikes since I finished the restoration of my wife’s 1973 R75/5 on July 4, 2014.
It was a snowy day in January when I first went to look at the bike with a fellow Airhead who owns a 1984 R100RS. The Craig’s List photos showed it outside, but when I arrived it had been put in a garage. The owner said he bought it for his significant other, but she decided it was too much for her “first bike”, so it hadn’t been ridden and they decided to sell it.
It came with saddle bags, some spare parts, a BMW tank cover, a Clymer manual, some parts catalogs, various registration certifications, the original owner’s manual and the original tool kit and tool box with the rubber cover.
The bike had 83,382 miles and a BMW MOA sticker on the rear fender mud guard. I took that as a positive sign; at least one owner was vested enough in owning the bike to join one of the BMW motorcycle owners groups. I got the VIN number and did a search to see when it was built and found the date was February 9, 1983.
I mulled it over and a couple days later made an offer a bit below the listing price and arranged to pick up the bike on the following weekend. I enlisted the aid another ABC member and we used his pickup truck to get the bike to my work shop.
Project Pictures & Videos
You can find the all the pictures for the project here on my Flickr account:
And, the videos that support this documentation are on my YouTube account in this playlist
I’ll add to this collection as I document the project.
Rebuild Procedures Index
This section provides links to write-ups about how I do the work on the project. As in the previous restoration projects, procedures are organized by the parts fiche numbering system BMW uses. This helps organize the content so it’s pretty easy to find any procedure you are interested in.
- 00 BMW 1983 R100RS/T Pre-Build Inspection & Build Plan
- 00 BMW 1983 R100RS Disassembly Down To The Frame
- 00 BMW R100RS/RT Assembly From The Frame Up
- 00 BMW 1983 R100RS->RT Project Complete Overview
- 00 BMW 1983 R100RS->RT Break-In And Shake Down Log
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Diagnose Intermittent Low Oil Pressure Light
- 11 1983 BMW R100RS Install Rear Main Seal, Oil Pump Cover & O-ring
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Crankshaft, Adjust End Float, Install Camshaft
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install The Flywheel
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Crankshaft Sprocket, Nose Bearing, Timing Chain, Front Main Seal, Inner Timing Cover
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Engine in Frame
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Push Rod Tubes & Head Studs
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Connecting Rods & Cam Followers
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Engine Top End
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove & Inspect Oil Pump
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Camshaft and Crankshaft
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Connecting Rods
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Engine Top End
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Flywheel & Rear Main Seal
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Push Rod Tubes & Cylinder Studs
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Timing Chain, Crankshaft Nose Bearing & Sprocket
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Valves & Inspect Heads
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Replace Oil Pan & Oil Pump Suction Flange Gaskets, Get Oil Pan Mating Surface Flat
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Shim Oil Filter Canister, Install Oil Cooler & Filter
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS First Engine Start
- 12 BMW 1983 R100RS Check Diode Board, Replace Rubber Mounts
- 12 BMW 1983 R100RS Replace Alternator Brushes
- 12 BMW 1983 R100RS Check Diode Board, Replace Rubber Mounts
- 12 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Diode Board, Alternator & Electronic Ignition Sensor
- 12 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Euro MotoElectrics (EME) 400 Watt Charging System
- 13 BMW 1983 R100RS Rebuild Carburetors & Karcoma Petcocks
- 13 BMW 1983 R100RS Update Pulse Air System
- 13 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Carburetors & Air Box
- 13 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Carburetors, Cables and Air Box
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Transmission
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Disassemble Transmission
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Rebuild Transmission Shift Cam Assembly
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Rebuild Transmission Input & Intermediate Shafts
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Rebuild Transmission Output Shaft
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Assemble Transmission
- 23 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Transmission
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Front Suspension Components
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS Replace Fork Seals, Install Slider Dust Covers
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS Replace Steering Head Bearings
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS/RT Install and Align Front Forks
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS/RT Install Toaster Tan Top Fork Brace
- 31 BMW 1983 R100RS/RT Rebuild Forks With Race Tech Cartridge Emulators
- 32 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Steering Components
- 32 BMW 1983 R100RS Replace Choke and Throttle Cables
- 32 BMW R100RT Install Handlebar Perch Assemblies
- 32 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Steering Damper Mechanism
33-Rear Axle & Suspension
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Rear Wheel, Rear Drive, Shocks & Swing Arm
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Drive Shaft
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Swing Arm Bearings
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Drive Shaft
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Swing Arm Bearings
- 33 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Swing Arm and Rear Drive
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Brake System
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS Disassemble, Inspect & Rebuild Brembo Brake Calipers
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS Disassemble, Inspect & Rebuild Master Cylinders
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove, Refinish, Install Disk Brake Rotors
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Rear Brake System
- 34 BMW 1983 R100RS/RT Install Front Brake System
46-Frame, Fairing, Cases
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Repair Panniers & Plastic
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Windscreen, Fairing, Dash, Volt Meter, Clock, Ignition Switch
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Rear Fender Assembly
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Repair Sub-Frame Side Cover Tabs
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Rear Fender Assembly
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Center And Side Stands
- 46 BMW 1983 R100RT Assemble And Install Fairing & Windscreen
- 46 BWM 1983 R100RS Install Front Fender
- 51 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Fork & Seat Locks
- 51 BMW 1983 R100RS Install Fork and Seat Locks
- 51 BMW 1983 R100RS Pinstriping
- 52 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Seat and Seat Cowling
- 52 BMW R100RS Assemble And Install Seat Cowl & Seat
- 52 BMW 1983 R100RS Reupholster Seat & Add Back Rest
- 61 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Electrical System
- 61 BMW 1983 R100RS Diagnose and Repair Starter & Neutral Switch Problem
- 61 BMW 1983 BMW R100RS/RT Replace Main Wiring Harness
- 61 BMW 1983 BMW R100RS/RT Lengthen Handlebar Switch Wires
- 61 BMW 1983 R100RS/RT Install Electrical System
2018-08-20 Fixed several broken links in the index
2019-03-01 Updated to reflect new project build plan for conversion to a RT
2019-03-13 Add link in Section 46, new Section 52, YouTube playlist link
2019-04-14 Add new article links in Sections 31, 32, 34, 46 and 61
2019-04-19 Add section 33
2019-04-22 Add section 18, 23 and articles to sections 11 and 13
2019-06-13 Add push rod tube removal link to section 11
2019-06-29 Add drive shaft removal link to section 33
2019-07-01 Add swing arm bearing removal link to section 33
2019-07-01 Add side cover tab repair link to section 46
2019-08-13 Add master cylinder and caliper rebuilds to section 34
2020-01-11 Add links to sections 00, 11, 12. Add section 21 and 51.
2020-01-18 Add links to section 11.
2020-02-08 Add link to section 12.
2020-02-22 Add links to section 11.
2020-03-07 Add links to section 11.
2020-04-05 Add links to section 61 and 33.
2020-04-09 Add link to section 31.
2020-05-08 Add section 34, add link to section 34.
2020-06-03 Add to sections 00, 31, 33, and 51
2020-07-10 Add to section 23.
2020-07-22 Add to section 23 and 32.
2020-08-01 Add to sections 11 and 61.
2020-08-08 Add to section 34.
2020-08-12 Add to section 34.
2020-08-17 Add to section 32.
2020-08-19 Add to section 18.
2020-08-22 Add to section 46.
2020-08-28 Changed title and link for 13 Pulse Air System document.
2020-09-03 Add to section 13.
2020-09-08 Add to section 11.
2020-10-04 Add to section 46.
2020-10-06 Add to section 46 and 52.
2020-10-08 Add to section 51.
2020-10-11 Add Project Complete to section 00.
2020-11-27 Add to section 00 and 52.