I’ve been making good progress on this project. I’ve finally finished writing up the major engine electrical component replacement and refurbishing the starter motor. You can find this material here.
- 12 BMW 1977 R100RS Replace Engine Electrical Components
- 12 BMW 1977 R100RS Install Dyna III Electronic Ignition-Refurbish Automatic Timing Unit (ATU)
- 12 BMW 1977 R100RS Refurbish Starter Motor
Where the procedure is similar or identical to work I’ve done on other bikes, I link to the existing write-ups and document the condition I found on this bike.
The body work should be back from the painter soon and the hard bits got dropped off for powder coating Tuesday. The clutch was shipped to Southland Clutch yesterday. I’ve got at least one source for anodizing the brake calipers. So a lot of the “outsourced” work is in progress.
Here are a couple pictures from these write-ups.
Engine Electrical Components
Unsoldering 3-Phase Wires from Terminal Block
Diode Board, Alternator and Wiring Installed
Dyna III Electronic Ignition
ATU Main Components Disassembled
Old Advance Springs Installed on Cam Plate Pins to Limit Full Advance
New Dyna III Sleeve and Pickup Plate Installed in Points Housing
Rusty Starter Motor with Cob Webs
Cracked Insulation on (+) Battery Cable; “Red” Wire Wrapped with Electrical Tape
Field Coil Housing Removed Showing Armature
Brush & Coil Spring Detail in Brush Holder
Thanks for showing me this!
You’re welcome :-).
Great to see you digging into this! Love the attention to detail.
— Rob (the guy who sold you this in the spring)
Yes, this is an “interesting” bike. I wish I had access to all the previous owners to get some history on it. It has a series of changes from the original configuration which I keep discovering as I proceed.