I replace the main wiring harness and all the sub-harnesses. I also replace all the electrical components. Since this bike sat for almost 25 years and the components and wiring were not in good shape, replacing it all should provide very good reliability. You can see how I remove what was left of the original electrical system here.
This 1983 R80ST “project bike” had the front forks and the BMW top plate when I acquired it. I rebuilt the front forks and replaced the steering head bearings and you can read about how I do that work here.
Now it’s time to install and align the front forks. I replace the stock BMW top plate that fits over the steering stem and on top of the fork tubes with a Toaster Tan Top Brace and the Toaster Tan acorn nut that secures the top brace to the steering stem. This top plate is much stronger than the stock thin steel top plate BMW uses. This improves handling as the top plate doesn’t bend and flex like the BMW top plate does.
Toaster Tan R80ST Top Brace
You can read about how I do this work and see a summary YouTube video.
The 1983 R80ST “project bike” came with both front fork legs, although a previous owner had painted the fork sliders blue. One leg is missing the yellow reflector and the black fork seal cover.
Front Fork Sliders Painted Blue By Previous Owner
I had the fork sliders vapor blasted to freshen up the forks and remove the paint.
Vapor Blasted Fork Sliders
Vapor Blasted Fork Sliders
I use a fork rebuild kit from Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage and obtain the rest of the parts from Euro MotoElectrics who is donating parts in support of my goal to auction this bike with all proceeds going to support the Motorcycle Relief Project. I will install some of the parts in Tom’s fork rebuild kit and the new fork springs when I install the forks in the top plate and triple clamp.
In addition to rebuilding the forks, I replace the large Allen bolt that secures the fork slider to the damper rod (part# 07 11 9 919 778) as they got mangled a bit when I removed them. I replace the fork top cap bolts (part# 31 42 1 241 661) as they are in bad shape. I also replace the yellow side reflectors (part# 63 14 1 244 529) as one was missing and the other was cracked.
Rebuilt, Vapor Blasted Fork Sliders With New Reflectors
Here is a link to the document showing how I do this work and a YouTube summary video of the procedure.
This bike came without any carburetors. I found a set of used 32 mm BING carburetors (64/32/323-324) after searching through a box of used carburetor’s in one of Clem Cykowski’s storage rooms that I can use. These are not the model used on the 1983 R80ST but will work. The date stamps on them indicate the 323 was manufactured in 11/1982 and the 324 was manufactured in 10/1982. I have to replace a lot of missing parts on the carburetors.
Useable Carburetor From Clem’s Used Carburetor Pile; 64/32/323-324
Right Side Carburetor (64/32/324)
Right Carburetor Manufacture Date (October 1982)
Left Side Carburetor Number (64/32/323)
Left Side Carburetor Manufacture Date (November 1982)