I completed the rebuild project after 18 months. “Grover” is finally back together again and looking good as new 🙂
I documented the final assembly steps in this write-up.
I will post about the “first ride” around the block separately and include a short video.
And yes, it’s a let down to be done, but there is a sense of satisfaction at what I learned along the way and the problems I figured out how to solve. I think that’s the addication in rebuilding these old airheads.
Here are some “glossy” photos of the completed rebuild.
Amazing job and amazing job documenting the whole process the way you did. Can’t thank you enough for that.
Thanks again Brook…and Congrats!
You’re welcome. My crude estimate of the time to document this project is that it was more than the time to do the work when I add up the time planning the writeup, taking pictures, uploading and editing them and then writing up the material with cross-posts to BMW MOA and Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners forums. But, I enjoyed doing it.
Now, on to the next project … which is still to be determined. I am looking for candidate bikes to rebuild. My search list includes R60/2, R69S (eithe of which would get side cars added), R80/7, R100RS or maybe even an R90/S if I find one at a decent price. Should you see one, let me know 🙂
Congratulations! You’ve done a great service documenting your project for other mechanics and riders. Best wishes and safe travels!
Thanks. On to the next build 🙂