I’ve removed the airbox, transmission and clutch to gain access to the flywheel. You can see how I did that work here.
- 13 BMW 1983 R80ST Remove Air Box & Pulse Air System
- 23 BMW 1983 R80ST Remove Transmission
- 21 BMW 1983 R80ST Remove Clutch
I also show how to remove the flywheel here.
I’ve published documents on removing and installing the flywheel on other projects. You can see those documents here.
- 11 BMW 1973 R75/5 Remove & Install Flywheel, Replace Rear Main Seal, Oil Pump Cover & Cover O-Ring
- 11 BMW 1977 R100RS Replace Rear Main Seal & Oil Pump Cover O-Ring
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Remove Flywheel & Rear Main Seal
- 11 BMW 1983 R100RS Install The Flywheel
Since the 1983 R80ST engine is similar in many ways to the 1983 R100RS, I will link to the 1983 R100RS documents as appropriate in this document.
Here is a short YouTube video showing how I do this work.
VIDEO: 1983 BMW R80ST Install Flywheel
Here is how things look now.