I’ve posted a series of write-ups that cover rebuilding the front end of this bike. You can find them here:
- 31 BMW 1977 R100RS Remove Front Forks, Handle Bars, Steering Stem, Fork Lock
- 31 BMW 1977 R100RS Replace Steering Head Bearings, Rebuild Front Forks
- 31 BMW 1977 R100RS Install Steering Stem, Front Forks and Toaster Tan Top Brace
- 34 BMW 1977 R100RS Rebuild and Restore Front Disk Brakes & Master Cylinder
- 36 BMW 1977 R100RS Wheel Bearings-Replace & Adjust Preload
These write-ups cover disassembly of the handlebars, forks, steering stem, steering damper and fork lock, rebuilding and restoring the wheels, wheel bearings, fork damper rods, fork sliders, steering stem bearings, fork lock, steering damper and installation of a new Toaster Tan top brace and steering stem “acorn” nut.
Here is what I started with.
And here is what I ended up with.