I will post about the “first ride” around the block separately and include a short video.
And yes, it’s a let down to be done, but there is a sense of satisfaction at what I learned along the way and the problems I figured out how to solve. I think that’s the addication in rebuilding these old airheads.
Here are some “glossy” photos of the completed rebuild.
I did a number of projects on the Windjammer II fairing: disassembled the fairing, repaired cracks, removed the old paint, painted it to match the bike (Monza, or Metallic Blue), and painted pinstripes .You can read about that work in these write-ups.
It required installing the headlight assembly, the side reflectors, new chome edge trim, the Vetter name plate, removing old decals and deep scratches from the windscreen and modifying the fairing bracket so it doesn’t gouge the paint on the frame (I hope).
Here are a couple pictures from the write-up.
New Silicon Seal on Headlight Bracket
Attaching Chrome Headlight Retaining Ring
Finished Headlight Installation
New Windjammer Chrome Edge Trim
Heating Chrome Trim with Heat Gun to Form to Tight Radius Curves
Adjusting Fairing Edge with Dremel Tool to Align Chrome Trim
Taping Chrome Edge Trim While Hotcha Glue Dries
Dremel Tool to Trim End of Chrome Trim
Use Razor Blade to Gently Peel Edge
Lighter Fluid Loosens Glue Along Exposed Edge
Novus #3 and Rubbing with Lint Free Cloth to Remove Deep Scratches
Scratches Are Gone 🙂
Taping Name Plate Down While Silicone Seal Sets
Windscreen Foam Tape Gaskets Attached
Hollow Bolt Inside Faring to Attach Turn Signal Stalk with Wiring
I’m not a professional painter nor have I ever done pinstripes. So, that’s the reason I’ve done all the paint work myself so I can learn how to do it. Here are two write-ups on how I painted the pinstripes and the side covers.
I had some “adventures” along the way when I tried painting the pinstripes. I did use a pinstripe brush but opted for “training wheels” and used a pinstripe stencil tape so all I had to do was paint between the lines. I have a new found respect for the fine art of painting free hand pinstripes.
I also painted the horizontal stripes on the chrome side covers. I tried the Monza Blue paint from Glausrit but I didn’t like how that looked. So, I tried some Dupli-Color rattle can paint and they look better. I may try to paint the side covers yet again as I’m not sure to best handle the curved edges. But they look pretty nice.
Here are a couple of pictures from the write-ups.
Rear Fender Pinstripe Measurement
Cleaning Pinstripe Brush with Mineral Spirits
Triming Brush Tip with Single Edge Razor
Pinstripe Stencil Tape
Use Razor Blade to Separate Stencil from Bracking
Rear Fender with New Pinstripes
Front Fender Stripes End at Fork Tube Cutout
Stencil Tape on Front Fender
Front Fender Pinstripe 1st Time-Fail 🙁
Fine Line Tape Masking to Fix Pinstripe Smudges
Repaired Pinstripes on Nose of Front Fender
Final Pinstriped Gas Tank
First Attempt at Masking the Side Cover
First Attempt Painting Side Cover Stripes: Ragged Edges and Easy to Peel
Second Attempt with Dupli-Color Paint: Two Candidates to Choose From
Second Maskging with 1/4 Inch Pinstripe Tape Over Dividers
I did this starting from setting up the High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) paint guns I bought through buffing and polishing the clear coat in this write-up. I had problems getting the HVLP gun to apply the primer, but found the answer to getting the gun to atomize properly. It works different than the older syphon feed style gun I had used before. I finally found some good videos about how to set up an HVLP gun and spraying techniques. Things went a lot smoother after that.
You can see how bad the second coat of primer was in these pictures.
Very Chunky Primer on Front Fender
Chunky Primer on Gas Tank 🙁
And here is the front fender and tank after polishing the clear coat along with a picture of the painted tail light assembly. I’m pleased with the outcome although it took over 2 months to get his part of the project done. I have nothing but admiration for those who make a living painting, particularly if they paint motorcycle parts.
Front Fender Polished
Gas Tank Polished
Rattle Can Painted Tail Light Housing After Sanding and Polishing
I still need to sand, buff and polish the clear coat on the fairing and to add the pin stripes. I’ll write-up how I did paint the pin stripes when I get that done.
I’ve been preparing the parts for painting. Recently, I had to get a temporary paint booth setup, connect the new compressor and paint gun and assemble all the parephenaila that goes with panting. I put together a write-up on this which you can find here:
I thought that anyone who was thinking about doing their own painting could look at how I setup a temporary paint booth and the painting equipment. I have never been a professional painter, but I find learning and doing things I’ve never done before is much of the reason I work on airheads. Or, said differently “Reader Beware. This is an amateur setup, done by an amateur aming for a professional looking paint job.” 😉